Saturday, 9 June 2012

40k for thought: Music Inspires?

Music is thought to be highly inspirational, motivating, and emotional. All good songs (i.e. anything other than modern mass-produced cookie-cutter hormonal-teenage-girl drivel) have meanings behind them, and tell you a story, as well as provide pleasant listening.

When spending long periods of time on a project, a little background noise helps me get though. I, like a number of you out there, despise silent work, and tend to work better when I have a good song selection in the background. But what I also find is that it helps me come up with more imaginative concepts and ideas. When working on my Castellan Crowe-to-chaos lord conversion, I hadn't really thought about adding patterns to his cape, then the heavy metal kicked in, putting me into overdrive and coming out with something far more interesting than a plain cloak. (Note, the cloak has been updated further since)

Also, It does seem to provoke some unusual ideas. After happening to have Steel Panther on in the background, I thought it'd be funny to make a noise marine version of the band, starting with the 'oh so fabulous' Lexxi Foxxx (apparently, the extra x's mean sexy, no seriously, it says that, check out their bios). It seems an odd project, but a little humour can't hurt, can it?

Although I've hit a stump with that particular project, it did encourage me to improve my rather basic sculpting/green stuff skills, and helped me come up with sculpting my own model, an ork warboss (the image above). Whilst ambitious, it does give me good practice, and since warbosses are rather big, its also easier than say, a marine.

Overall, music is something that can help those with a mental block, or for those wanting a little more imagination. Here is but a small selection bands which keep me coming out with new ideas for your eyes and mine:


  • Black Veil brides
  • Manowar
  • Avenged Sevenfold
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Dragonforce
  • Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath
  • Five Finger Death Punch


Also, for all you that are reading this far down, I want to make an announcement. Over the summer, you wont be getting just two, but three (yes, three) updates per week, so come back more often to take in the additional content. Likely dates will be Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, but no promises. Also, more 'secrets' are being shown on the Facebook page, so get joining.

No comments:

Post a Comment