Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Living With 6th Ed, Part One: Movement and Commanders


First off, I suspect most of you will have noticed the new name and image of this blog, I hope you enjoy the work that went into this new look.

Well, 6th edition has been with us for 11 days (13 for me) and I’m sure that some of you have made your first impressions of the rule set. Since the early rumours, 6th edition has had a ‘love it or hate it’ vibe, so is it a great set of cinematic rules, or a blasphemous abomination? Me? I think this new rule set is great; confusing at times, but it makes games feel more interesting, and dynamic.

So how does this new rule set actually affect an army? Well, to find out, I’ll be using my Thousand Sons as a case study. Having formed them in 5th edition, It’ll be interesting to see how the new rules help or hinder lists, and what changes I’ll be making to adapt. Over the week, I’ll be updating daily about different aspects of the new rules which affect overall gameplay, list builds and concepts of ‘fun’.

Firstly, how has my army’s mobility been affected? Well, my Thousand Sons are faster, much faster, thanks to changes to slow and purposeful. Sure, I cannot take advantage of ‘Overwatch’, but I can always move 6”, rather than ending up with a random result, usually half that. Combat charges are also different, now changed to 2D6”. Whilst this has the potential to increase charge distances, it can also mean that you may end up short of the mark, vulnerable to retaliatory fire. This shouldn’t affect my lists or tactics, since I generally focus on shooting.

And whilst on the topic of tactics, I’d like to discuss the new commander traits. I like them. Whilst they are very random, they can add a nice little boost to your force. I haven’t tested these much (in both games, I rolled the same trait, ‘Master of Offence’. Useful, but not in the situations I found myself in. I imagine that rolling ‘princeps of deceit’ (redeployment of some units)will be highly beneficial.

Come back tomorrow for part two of this 6th edition analysis: Close combat and challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment