Thursday, 23 August 2012

WIP: Gaming Table 2.0 (Part Two)


Stage by stage, the gaming table is progressing. You will recall from last week that I am re-building and redesigning my gaming table, after being fed up of the old, ill-suited version and it’s many serious flaws. So far, the board had been bought, and cut into four equal squares.

This week, some terrain is in progress to help break up the flat battlefield. Yesterday, I made the journey to GW Manchester, and, after some searching, experiences with overly enthusiastic staff and a scary customer encounter, I exited with two products, Imperial Armour: Aeronautica (which will be reviewed later this week) and a Sanctum Imperialis building set.

The Sanctum is my first venture into GW terrain. I’ve only really used it on store tables, so having a chance to build it was interesting. It generally went together rather well. The pieces are entirely modular, so you can build any kit in one of dozens of ways, your imagination being your limits. The only issue I had was with the balcony. There didn’t seem to be any smooth connection for it, and it went together with some difficulty. Still, it has good purchase now, so as a precaution, make sure there are smotth surfaces to glue the balcony on. It will need all the surface area it can get, since it is a fairly heavy piece, and needs the support. In the end, I went with something similar to a mirrored version of the box art. I am also tempted to add a makeshift barricade, with an autocannon poking out of the ruins, with sandbags.

 I also visited a craft store on my visit, and managed to find some really good foam sheeting. The foam, the second product bought for terrain, is great. It cost me (for one 10mm thick A2 sheet and one 5mm A4 sheet), £4.72, which, thanks to my student status, was reduced by 10%. It’s always worth asking about discounts for students, you never know what you’ll get. The sheets are so much better to work with than the Papier Mache I tried before, and for a number of reasons:

It is sturdier
It is easier to cut
It is (in ways) less messy
It dries quicker (the mache hills took days to set...bad mix probably)
It is quicker to work with
The end results look better

At the moment, the hills look rather simplistic. To improve them, being just simple shapes stacked on top of one another, I’ll be adding sand, spare parts, and possibly walls to the hills to improve their image I feel that I will be able to get a further one or two hills from the sheets I have. For less than £5, using foam is a great alternative to the £18 GW modular hills. Sure there can be a drop on detail, but more creative people can match or surpass Games Workshop’s offerings with care and an eye for perfection.

Next week, I’ll discuss any further progress with the terrain, as well as my thoughts on what the table itself will look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment