Another update for you, my many followers. The gaming table is coming along nicely, and more terrain has been consecrated in the blood of the enemy (i.e. I have has a few games).
A few more hills have been made from the foam I bought. You really do get quite a few hills out of one A2 and one A4 sheet. A great alternative to GW's plastic hills. Lightweight, easy to cut, effective: pretty much everything you would want from a hill.
These two hills are pretty much completed. In terms of painting, I used household paint from UK store Wilkinsons, and chose colours similar to a desert. Keep in mind that the paints don't have to be a perfect match, but should at least be suitable for the environment you are choosing to recreate. I chose two colours: Earth Stone and Safari Sand, which are quite close to Steel Legion Drab and Iraqi Sand; not identical, but suitable for my purposes.
The hills got a good coat of Earth Stone, then a dry-brush of Safari Sand, topped off with some codex grey rocks and grass tufts.
The pots I got were colour tester pots, costing £1 each. A few of each colour will be enough to cover a table. Using household paint brushes helps too, speeds things up a great deal.
That's all for now, but come check out the Facebook page, where we will have a few extra images and discussion, and a project revealing when we hit 50 likes (only three to go)....