Thursday, 13 June 2013

Showcase: Thousand Sons Heldrake


The second showcase in a row, not bad if I do say so myself. I've been very busy trying to get a number of projects done before Wartorn, both for tournament reasons, and so it looks more acceptable to get something new (helps not having 12+ existing projects!). The latest item to be completed is my Heldrake, a model which is both deadly and divisive in looks.


The gold trim was my biggest fear when painting this, simply because there is so much of the stuff. Following my six stage scheme for gold, you can imagine how much work had to go into it. In between the gold lining, some panels got scripture painted on with Vallejo White and am ultra-thin brush.

The eyes and parts of the underbelly were painted in a green glow to showcase the daemonic energies barely contained inside this deadly sky-beast. I used my glow technique, but also added a layer of Tamiya Clear Green to suggest the glow is coming from behind glass.

To add a bit more character to the model, I added a tiny amount of blood-effect around the mouth, using Agrax Earthshade and Tamiya Clear Red.


The base was built up to a cliff edge using Milliput and foam. After sanding the base was topped with a spare dreadnought shoulder and broken mechanics, before being painted. The dreadnought arm has been painted in the colours of the Blood Ravens chapter (cookies for getting the reference!).

Sorcerer Ramshek directs the machine into battle...

With this model now complete, I only have a few more squads to finish up before my tournament Thousand sons force is ready for the battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment