Saturday, 6 July 2013

Showcase: Bolt Action T-34/85


A little piece of history is ready for the world of Bolt Action 28mm warfare. This T-34/85  is the first Warlord Games product that I have completed in my hobby lifetime, and I can say it was just as fun to paint as it was to make and review.

The green started with a base coat of Vallejo Reflective Green. I added a small amount of Iraqi Sand to the green and dry-brushed the whole tank. I added a drop more for the final dry-brush coat. I added a white stripe down the middle of the hull and turret, which started off as GW Codex Grey, and worked up to an off-white.

The tracks were painted in a 50/50 mix of GW Boltgun Metal and black, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade and Badab Black. To paint the commander, I used Vallejo German Camo Medium Brown and Leather Brown for the uniform and hat respectively, followed by an Agrax Earthshade wash.

This model was a good chance to practice some weathering. I added various sand pigments to the lower hull and tracks. Rust streaks were added using AK Interactive's Streaking Rust solution, and was focused on sharp angles and around the rear hatch.

I also had a go at applying some transfers, something I haven't tried in years. I've added a soviet star to the turret and some warning labels near the engine. I tried out the gloss varnish-transfer-matt varnish technique, and it seemed to work very well, considering it was my first go.

This project was a nice change from the usual blue 40k, and I hope to use some of these techniques on my upcoming German Bolt Action army.

No comments:

Post a Comment