Thursday, 12 December 2013

WIP: Mekidius Sirak, Lord-Champion of the Avenged

Mekidius Sirak, lord-champion of the Avenged, the shepherd of fire, slayer of kings, chosen of the pantheon.


For my entry into the Path to Damnation campaign I knew I wanted to do something different. At first the idea hadn’t come to me. But after a surprise trip to see Avenged Sevenfold, an early birthday present from the girlfriend, I had an epiphany. I then came up with the Avenged, a small war-band, a splinter faction of the Night Lords legion, and entirely themed around Avenged Sevenfold’s albums (mainly Nightmare and Hail to the King).


The model is based on the Chaos Space Marines Dark Apostle. The backpack has been replaced with one from Forge World's mkIII iron armour kit. The chest plate has been filed flat, and a big pair of bat wings adorn the plate. Both were sculpted around a screaming skull, which is a piece leftover from a Vampire Counts Cairn Wraith.


I've also attached this storm shield, from the Tartaros Terminator weapon set. Not only can this count as the model’s 4+/3+ invulnerable save (sigil of corruption and mk of tzeentch), it is also a great place to work on some freehand. If I’m feeling daring, I may attempt to paint the album cover of Nightmare onto it.


Another idea I've had is using this, a servo skull with in-built bolt pistol from a Forge World Titan Techpreist. This, made by adding wings from the Grave Guard kit, will hopefully make a great deathbat familiar, a count-as combat familiar and bolt pistol.


The final piece of the puzzle is the weapon. I’m thinking of using the Grave Guard champion’s two-handed axe or two-handed halberd. What worries me is that both weapons are on the small side. However, if I use the Dark apostle’s weapon handle, and a few bits, scale shouldn’t be too much of an issue.


If you’re interested in joining the Path to Damnation Campaign, go over and join this group and this one, where you'll find the campaign rules and get some ideas for your own lord and warband. All you need for now is a chaos lord model to your liking, built and painted by the end of January 2014. 

1 comment: