Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Workshop data logs: January 2017

It's a bit later in the month than planned (hours to spare as I post this) but here's this month's update. Today's letter is the letter 't', for tanks and terminators.



With a big 4v4 game next month, I've been spending this month getting my sekhmet ready.  No named characters means I can't use big red, but it just means more points for terminators and tanks.



One of the tanks I'll be taking is a stripped back predator. This tank wallowed in my bits box for months, but the game is a great excuse to paint it up. I'll keep it clean and crisp, with some intricate freehand for the former weapon mounts.



I also had a go painting up this chap, a cheap and cheerful disc sorcerer, made from general odds and ends. Because the disc is quite small it'll probably be used as a lesser sorcerer for formations and small games.



Next up are a few more terminators. My 2k list for this game demands three terminator squads, all fully painted. With the official models painted, the cataphractii and the tartaros conversions are next.



Lastly,  something a bit more historical. This Tiger is something a bit different, the lesser known Porsche variant. Only one was thought to have seen battle, the rest being lately converted to the Ferdinand/Elephant.

It's a conversion I've been meaning to do for years (two houses ago!) and I thought it'does be a nice break from all the blue.

A short but sweet post, I'll keep you updated over the weekend.

Sunday, 15 January 2017

Showcase: Magnus the Red

The crimson king approaches! An amazing model which not many people expected to see in 40k, the first daemon primarch makes for a fantastic centrepiece.



With such an impressive, intricate model, I decided to largely follow the warhammer TV guide for painting the model. Despite being mostly red, the other details help tie it in with the blue rubrics.



I did make a few changes to personalise the model. The key different is the wings.



 Rather the the black wings of the box art, I thought white wings would stand out more. Painted in the same way as the cloth, the wings brighten up the model significantly.



Magnus was built using the optional khopesh blade and the death mask, with a few extra basing bits to complement the dreadnought arm at his feet. Truth be told the model didn't really need much adding to it. The sword and wings can be removed, making it far easier to transport.



It's been a difficult but enjoyable experience to paint Magnus, and I'll certainly get as much use from it in games as possible.