Now, before we proceed, I would like to say (please read this as casual and not a rage please *smiles*), yes, I am a gamer-geek. I do like table top gaming and model making, and I see nothing wrong with it. It’s a hobby, and people I’ve known are cool with it, and that is that. It's not like it is the only thing I do. There, now we can proceed merrily.
This project started with miscommunication. I had originally asked a friend to order a Thousand Sons Dreadnought with Dreadfire arms. Whilst the arms were correct, he had mistakenly ordered me a Contemptor Dreadnought. However, I held nothing against him, as I liked the design, although it would require a lot more work. Thankfully, the arms fit perfectly, despite the body being a completely different design.
This being a Forgeworld piece, a specialist’s kit, I wanted to do this justice. Thankfully, the cast I had was well done, apart from some massive mould lines going over the top of the legs, but these were easy to remove, and hardly noticeable. After carving off the eagle icons
(I wanted a flat base for designs) I assembled it in the striding pose you see here. I added scripture along the sides of the head, and added a loin cloth from a Daemon Price kit. The whole thing was topped with a horned skull and some gemstones.
On to painting. To match with my Thousand Sons, after spraying it black I painted it Regal Blue, then, Ultramarine Blue, with highlighting. The yellow sunbeam patterns was desert yellow, with many thin layers of Sunburst Yellow and much cursing trying to do straight lines. The cloth was built up from grey to white. the metals were drybrushed boltgun, with brown washes and chainmail chips. Now, since this is a centrepiece, I wanted to use pigment powders, to represent sand grime and dust. Overall, I think I did a good job, although the clear varnish spray blasted a lot of the powders off. Overall, I am proud of this dreadnought, and will be soon working on its brother (pictured below). Rate and comment (keep it clean).