The first piece that “volunteered” to be a test item was this plasticard building. I made it about two years ago and it was due for some paint (plastic-coloured buildings get boring after a while. The large flat surfaces made for a great test-bed. I started off using Vallejo model air ‘Base Grey’, which I understand to be an airbrush primer.
The colour went on quite well, though one thing I’ve noticed is airbrush paints take an eternity to dry: it was only just dry enough after an overnight wait. After that I went with Vallejo German Camo Brown Medium. To finish off with the airbrush, the bottom of the building was dusted in model air Sand Yellow. The same colours were applied to a set of oil barrels, pictured above
Next on the firing line was this old Basilisk. I plan to get a couple of these in a few months, so this made a great test model. After a spray of model air Blue, it got a coat of thinned Ultramarine. I followed a guide in IA: master class vol. 1 and left the panel lines dark. Again, this model was dusted with Sand Yellow to simulate the desert look. Considering this is my first layered model painted with this tool, I’m very happy with it. Perfect it is not, but it is progress. It probably needs a second layer of ultramarine; it is still a bit dark.
Finally I decided to be a bit daring and go small. Here are a few Plastic Soldier Company German tanks, in 15mm. I hope to be able to replicate a German Camo pattern on these, similar to my previous efforts, but with more feathered splotches of green and brown, for a more authentic effect. A layer of Middlestone was painted over a grey prime coat. Again, it will need a second coat to produce a nice flat colour.
So there are my current efforts. I think I’m getting the hang of this tool, but I’ll admit that I’m still a long way off a great standard. Enjoy.